5 Most Common Causes of Car Accidents

Everyone fears a car accident, whether it is for safety reasons or even financial concerns.  Regardless of your reason, here are five common causes of car accidents in the United States.

1)      Drunk Driving:  Drinking and driving is one of the most common reason for fatal car accidents.  In 2013, there were a total of 44,574 drivers in the United States that were killed in an accident.  Reportedly 9,461 or 21% of those drivers had a Blood Alcohol content over 0.08.

2)      Speeding: In the same year, speeding proved to be a primary factor contributing to traffic crashes. In 2013, speeding was a contributing factor in 29 percent of all fatal crashes, and 9,613 lives (29%) were lost in speeding-related crashes.

3)      Texting:  Texting while driving continues to be one of the major causes of accidents on the road.  There is a 25% chance that every motor vehicle crash was partially caused by cell phone use.  Every day, nine Americans lose their lives due to a texting and driving accident.

4)      Driving in Bad Weather:  The statistics do not lie.  Driving in poor conditions has caused many accidents over the years.  On a yearly average, weather-related accidents account for over 1,200,000 accidents, 445,000 injuries, and almost 6,000 fatalities.  It is important to stay off the road during bad conditions unless absolutely necessary.

5)      Drowsy Driving: Driving while tired has been proven to be extremely dangerous.  In 2014 there were 846 fatalities caused by drowsy-driving recorded in NHTSA’s FARS database.  These statistics have remained consistent over the past ten years.



No-fault is a mandatory portion of every automobile policy issued in the State of New York and provides medical and disability insurance. People involved in motor vehicle accidents, involving New York-insured vehicles, regardless of who is at fault in the accident, are entitled to no-fault insurance coverage.


QUESTION:  What is no-fault?

ANSWER:     No-fault is a form of a health and disability insurance that pays, where applicable, lost earnings, medical bills, prescriptions, travel expenses and household help.

QUESTION:  Who is eligible to receive no-fault benefits?

ANSWER:    Anyone who is hurt in an auto accident, hit by a car as a pedestrian or injured in some way by the operation, use or maintenance of a motor vehicle. Unfortunately, it does not apply to people on a motorcycle, but does apply to pedestrians struck by a motorcycle.


QUESTION:  Do I need a lawyer to obtain no-fault benefits?

ANSWER:     No-fault was initially enacted in the 1970’s. The fact of the matter is that, over the years since then, the insurance industry has complicated the process significantly and prejudiced the right of their own insureds in many, many cases. An injured party is well advised to speak to a lawyer as soon as possible, after their accident. Lawyers such as Spiegel Brown & Fichera, LLP, charge no fees for providing advise to people on no-fault matters or anything else arising out of a motor vehicle accident. You would be wise to take advantage of that and, at least, get some advice to be sure that you are not waiving your legal rights without knowing that you are doing so. We will never charge you a fee for anything on a motor vehicle accident case, except as may be clearly disclosed to you, in advance and in writing. Any agreed upon fees will only be repayable if and when we make a financial recovery for you.

QUESTION:  How do I obtain my no-fault Benefits?

ANSWER:     A no-fault application must first be filed with the insurance company who insured the vehicle that you were an occupant of at the time of the accident or the vehicle which struck you, in the event that you are an injured pedestrian. Even before calling a lawyer, you should contact the insurance company and tell them that you were involved in the accident and that you have incurred or expect to incur medical bills. Request that they send you a no-fault application.

QUESTION:  Am I entitled to be reimbursed for anything besides doctor bills? How about:

A. Travel expenses?

B. Household Care?

C. Prescriptions?

D. Lost Earnings?

ANSWER:     With respect to all of these categories it is important to note the following: You have to mail this information to the no-fault carrier. You should keep copies of all mailings to the carrier and also provide us with a copy. If you live nearby, we will photocopy this information for you.

Also note, that, every single piece of paper that you send to the insurance company MUST have the insurance company claim number written on it.

The insurance company will reimburse you for the number of miles traveled to and from doctors, physical therapists and hospitals. You must indicate the name of the doctor, hospital, etc., the date of the office visit and the number of roundtrip miles. Requests for mileage reimbursement should be submitted to your insurance company monthly.

Any prescriptions that your doctor has issued to you for the treatment of conditions caused by the accident, will be reimbursed. It is important that you mail copies of your prescription receipts to the no-fault insurance company. ALWAYS write the name of the doctor that prescribed the medicine and the name of the medication on the receipt. Prescription receipts must be submitted within 45 days of the date of purchase (N.B. In more recent years, most of the major pharmacy chains will accept you no-fault claim number and issue the prescription without your having to seek reimbursement).

The no-fault carrier will pay for someone to take care of you because you were hurt in this accident. Your doctor must give you a letter saying this household care is needed. You MUST send the letter from your doctor to the No-fault Insurance Company along with a form signed by you and the person doing the household care listing the dates this person has taken care of you. In most cases, your No-fault Insurance Company will not pay for household care if it has been rendered by a spouse, parent or family member.

QUESTION:  How do I make sure my treating doctors, therapists and/or hospitals are paid?

ANSWER:     After the no-fault application has been sent to you, filled out by you and returned to the insurance company, they will obtain a list of your treating health care providers and will send them a form advising them that they should send the bills directly to the no-fault insurance company. Once you get a no-fault claim number (generally over the phone from the insurance company that insures your vehicle), you should simply give the name of the insurance company and the no-fault claim number to your doctors/hospital’s business office and they will bill no-fault directly.

QUESTION:  Is there a limit to the amount of my no-fault coverage?

Answer:     There is a minimum of $50,000 combined medical and disability benefits on every no-fault claim; however, there may be additional no-fault coverage on the vehicle that was involved in your accident because the owner of said vehicle paid an additional premium for extended or additional no-fault coverage. There may be circumstances also where, if you were a passenger or pedestrian, you may be entitled to “stack” the no-fault coverage of the vehicle with which you were in involved in the accident together with any motor vehicle policy you may have had on a vehicle of your own.

QUESTION:  How long will the no-fault carrier pay for travel expenses and/or household care?

ANSWER:     The no-fault carrier is required to make payment of travel expenses and/or household care for a period of one year from the date of the accident, providing the proper documentation has been mailed to the no-fault carrier.

QUESTION:  How does lost wages/earning work?

ANSWER:     You are entitled to be paid no-fault benefits for time lost from work, provided that you were, actually employed on the date of the accident. The procedure is a portion on the no-fault application for you to set forth the name and address of your employer and other information relating to your wages. Once that application has been returned to the no-fault insurer, they will send a New York No-fault Employer Wage Verification Form to your place of employment. Once this has been completed, you will also need a note from your doctor stating you are not able to work because of your injury from this accident. These must both be mailed into the insurance company.

If you are receiving money from New York State Disability, you should also mail a copy of one of the disability checks to the no-fault insurance company, as they will deduct that amount before sending you money.

If you are self-employed, there is a form that must be filled out. You will have to mail this completed form to the no-fault insurance company along with copies of your previous two years income tax returns. Please ask this office for assistance, if needed.

QUESTION:  How long can the insurance company take before they pay me?

ANSWER:     The no-fault carrier can take up to 30 days from the date they receive your bills to consider payment of your bills. Reminder: make sure you keep copies of everything you mail to the no-fault carrier.

QUESTION:  How long will New York Disability pay me if I am not able to work?

ANSWER:     Disability will pay you for 26 weeks (not including the first week you are disabled).

QUESTION:  Who will pay me for the first week I am not able to work?

ANSWER:     The no-fault carrier will pay you for the first week you are disabled from working.

QUESTION:  Who will pay me if I am not able to work after the Disability payments run out? (after 26 weeks)

ANSWER:     The No-fault Insurance Company will continue to pay you up to three years from the date of the accident as long as your doctor has said that you are not able to work because of your injury from this accident.

QUESTION:  What will the No-fault Insurance Company pay if the injuries should result in death?

ANSWER:     The No-fault Insurance Company is required to pay what’s called a Death Benefit in the amount of $2,000.00.

QUESTION:  What do I have to do to get the $2,000.00 from the No-fault Insurance Company?

ANSWER:     You must provide the No-fault Insurance Company

with a copy of the Death Certificate and advise them of the name of the person who has been appointed for the deceased person’s estate.


  1.    Your medical bills, in order to be covered by no-fault, must be submitted by you or the provider of healthcare services to the No-fault Insurance Company within 45 days of service. Failure to submit them within the 45 days gives the insurance company the right to reject payment, under the new regulations.
  1.    Written proof of any time lost from work and any “other necessary expenses” (for example, medications, mileage to and from doctors, etc.) must be submitted by you directly to your No Fault Insurance Company within 45 days after the loss of work has occurred or the “other necessary expenses” are incurred.


-No-fault will pay 80% of your gross wages in conjunction with any disability

-Most No-fault policies only pay up to a maximum of $2,000.00 per month in lost wages (you must again deduct any money paid to you by disability).

-No-fault is required to pay your lost wages up to three years from the date of the acci­dent. (There are certain restrictions that apply).

-If your earnings are higher than what No-fault allows, please advise this office.


You MUST file a NEW YORK STATE DISABILITY form with YOUR employer’s disability car­rier within 20 days from the date of your accident or the date you became disabled as a result of this accident. If you don’t do this, you may lose a portion or all of your disability benefits.

If you were in the course of your employment when this accident happened, you MUST file for WORKERS’ COMPENSATION BENEFITS through your employer. The Workers’ Com­pensation carrier will pay you a portion of your earnings and the No-fault carrier (if applicable) will pay you a portion, totaling 80% of your gross earnings. When you receive papers from Workers’ Compensation, you MUST give a copy to this office.


Sometimes the No-Fault Insurance Company will deny a payment to you and will tell you how to fight or arbitrate the denial. For technical reasons, you MUST NOT do this without first speaking to your attorney. BY DOING THIS, YOU COULD DESTROY YOUR LAWSUIT. There are very few times we will suggest you fight this, but we will offer alternatives to you.

QUESTION:  What should I do if I receive a letter from the insurance company telling me I have to be examined by a doctor?

ANSWER:     You must first contact this office to advise us of this appointment. You MUST keep this appointment. Failure to do so would allow the insurance company to stop payment of your benefits.

We leave you with these final thoughts:

– NEVER discuss your case or injury with anyone, except your no-fault insurance company. You should get the contact information on anyone else and ask them to send it to you in writing. You will then be well advised to at least speak with a lawyer.

– NEVER sign anything for anyone without showing to your attorney.

– ALWAYS keep copies of any correspondence, letters, medical bills or any other documents related to your case so that they will be available.

– ALWAYS keep copies of anything that you have sent to or receive from the No-fault Insurance Company.

ALWAYS forward copies of all correspondence, letters, bills, etc. to this office for your file records.

ALWAYS keep copies of the bills, lost wage forms, mileage statement, etc., that you mail to the No-fault Insurance Company.

ALWAYS write the date you mail the bills to the no-fault carrier on your cover letter, as well as the claim number.

ALWAYS make copies of ALL checks received from the no-fault carrier or any other source PRIOR to cashing them.

TRY to obtain a disability note from your doctor as soon as he tells you that you cannot work or if you need household care.

DO NOT leave the New York State Disability form with your doctor or your employer as you only have 20 days from the date of the accident or the date you became unable to work to send this form in to your employer’s insurance company.

QUESTION: Should I speak to an insurance company about my accident?

Answer: While you are required to discuss your case and your injuries with YOUR no-fault insurance company, you should not discuss your injury or the facts of the accident with the insurance company who insures any other person until you have consulted a lawyer. In this connection, it is important that you understand that the insurance adjustors who insure the drivers involved in a motor vehicle accident are trained to convey the impression to you, the potential injured claimant that they are there to be of assistance to you. This is a false impression that they are trained to try and create. They are there to attempt to get as much information as they can to use against you in the event that you may bring a claim later on. You don’t know what may hurt you. If you think that you may have been injured in an accident, you should consult a lawyer with significant experience in handling serious motor vehicle accident cases, such as the lawyers at Spiegel, Brown & Fichera, LLP


You’ve had a car accident, now what do you do?

When you’re in a car accident you’ll be scared and you’ll be hurt. The first thing you should do if you are able is immediately call the police and then exchange your information with the other driver including name, address and insurance. The next thing you should do as soon as you are able is call your insurance company to report the accident. Virtually every insurance policy in New York requires that all accidents be reported and, more importantly, when you contact your insurance company you should tell them that you are requesting that they send you a New York No-Fault Application for Benefits.

It’s important that you request this No-Fault Application as soon as possible because there are strict time limits which the law places upon you to file this application. In most cases the No-Fault Application must be filed within 30 days of the accident occurring. This application is important because any medical treatment, lost wages and other expenses such as prescriptions will be covered by your no-fault insurance through your own insurance company. However, if you do not file your application in a timely fashion, your insurance company can and in most cases will refuse to pay for your benefits simply because you did not file your application on time.

There are many technical rules which apply to no-fault and dealing with your insurance company. For example, even if you mail your application within the 30 days of your accident, if your company claims that it did not receive the application and you do not have proof that it was actually mailed, your company can still refuse to pay your benefits unless you can prove the application was mailed and received by the insurance carrier. This is done by sending it Certified Mail – Return Receipt Requested.

The attorneys at Spiegel, Brown, Fichera, & Coté, LLP are experienced in dealing with automobile accidents and particularly no-fault law and can be of vital assistance to you after you’ve been in a car accident.

You may also be entitled to recover damages for your pain and suffering from the driver who is at fault in causing the accident. The experienced lawyers at Spiegel, Brown, Fichera & Cote, LLP will provide a free evaluation of your potential case.